BY: ANGIE DIMICHELE
Coming up with six reasons why I love myself was extremely difficult for me. But, it shouldn’t be. Even though us millennials are products of a selfie-taking, seemingly narcissistic generation, it is ok to list reasons why you love yourself. Whether you are single or in a relationship or somewhere else on the spectrum this Valentine’s Day, take the time to remind yourself of the things that make you unique. Here are some things I enjoy about myself to get you started.
- I pay the $5 monthly Spotify Premium fee. I love myself for this because it allows me to have 24/7 access to an early 2000s hip-hop playlist. There is no better Valentine’s Day gift to myself than the nonstop nostalgia Beyonce’s “Love On Top” brings.
- I’m an extremely punctual person. If I’m not at least 15 minutes early to everything, my palms sweat and my heart races. This is the one instance where I can thank my anxiety.
- I’m named after a Rolling Stone’s song. Do yourself a favor and listen to “Angie.” It’s great.
- I stopped being afraid to do things by myself. After the awkwardness of my freshman year in college wore off, I stopped caring if I had to be alone. Not in the dark, depressing kind of way, but in the empowering kind of way. In my second year, I have allowed myself to seek out personal interests and passions even if that meant going to some meeting or event without the security blanket of a friend. I have attended movies, coffee shops and dinner dates by myself, and it turns out I enjoy the alone time.
- I didn’t vote for Donald Trump.
- I have a genuine interest in humanity. I am energized by meeting new people and understanding them. I fell in love with reading literature and writing because I want to know about the human experience. Each person has an incredibly interesting story waiting to be heard.