Changing Majors

AARON SAGER

changing-your-major-hdr
Image Source: Purdue.edu

Some things do not stand the test of time, but students’ desire to change majors always will. We at PRISM decided to track down a few students who recently switched majors to better understand their motivations.

We met with sophomore and newly minted cryptozoloogy major, Lisa Conrad, to hear her story.

“Ever since I was a child, I always loved sasquatch. My advisors say I should love my work so much that it doesn’t feel like work,  so it just felt natural to switch,” Conrad said.

When asked if she had ever met any cryptids, she recalled one time she went camping. “We went to sleep and next morning when we woke up, all our food was gone. I thought it was the skunk ape for sure, but I later found out Uncle Jerry had just been really hungry.”

She assured us she made the right decision to switch from computer science to the study of mythological animals. “Yeah, people might say employment prospects exist as much as the Loch Ness Monster, but those people just don’t see it — that’s the POINT.”

Junior Brian Flemming made his switch to become a hot dog science major last semester and, so far, enjoys all of his classes. “My professors are super chill. They like to bring in different sausages and salamis on exam days. I always look forward to class,” Flemming said.

Flemming wowed us with his vast knowledge of trivia regarding the manufacturing of elongated meat pockets. “Did you know that 80 percent of all hot dogs contain some variety of pork anus? The other 20 percent likely contains real dog, hence the origin of the name.” No, Brian, we did not know that, and wish we had not learned.

Sophomore Christopher Bergman, current microbiology major, debates with himself whether he should change his major to comic book history. “Whatever path I choose, I will keep my contribution to society in mind. With that said, those who do not learn comic book history are doomed to repeat it and even suffer enslavement by the Zorgs from planet sector 4857,” Bergman said.

However, some students feel confident they made the right choice in their first major, planning to pursue it for all four years. Freshman floral rights and chloraplactivism double major Sabrina Sanchez shared her appreciation for teaching foliage. “Teaching can be so rewarding, and I feel fulfillment knowing I will one day communicate with plants. I mean, education is one’s ticket to success, so maybe one day plants won’t be enslaved by us. Think about it,” Sanchez said.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s